Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Grandma's Bedsocks

A garden of Love grows in a Grandmother's heart. ~Author Unknown

Where, oh where, has winter gone? We are seeing Signs of Spring already - warmer nights, inviting sunny days, flowers almost bursting into bloom. It has been a warm winter, yet I have no doubt there is some more "weather" due to arrive here. Usually it is coldest after our birthdays ;)

I knitted these lovely red bedsocks early on during winter to ensure my feet would be kept warm during the cooler parts of this season. I have not needed them yet, preferring my old pink threadbare ones, the last ones Grandma knitted for me, which I have continued to darn and mend over and over. Perhaps we have had warmer nights, or perhaps I have just not had to endure the absence of my warm husband this winter as we have done the last few years.

My Grandma has knitted bedsocks for me and others in my family for many years. In recent times I gave Grandma wool for her to knit some for me but this year, at 89 years of age, I think that she is past knitting. I didn't feel right asking her to knit for me anymore, especially when I am sure I can do it myself. So after some searching and asking various relatives, I managed to receive the pattern for the socks from my Aunty who no doubt wants to keep the family tradition going along with me.

This is the first pair I have made and I am quite proud of them.

Grandma started knitting these particular socks for her grandchildren's cold wintry toes as the pattern was a particularly easy one for socks she remembers. No knitting in the round, just a pair of needles. I can vouch for its' simplicity. The pattern is very easy to follow, although I still managed to make a couple of errors in my haste. Bet you can't spot them! Now there's a challenge for you.


If you are interested in the pattern, be sure to let me know. I am sure Grandma won't mind my sharing it with you.

1 comment:

Homestay Mama said...

Those bedsocks look delicious! And comfortable. I used to knit, but no longer have the time! Hopefully that will change this winter!

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin