Thursday, June 21, 2012

Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke and Celeriac Soup


I have a bit of a penchant for Jersusalem Artichoke.  So when I discovered some grown locally in the suburbs of Canberra at Choku Bai Jo recently I grabbed a bagful and planned some soup.

As so often happens when I google ingredients I have at hand I find a number of recipes from which I gain ideas and inspiration and end up with something which is quite different from each recipe I view.  So here's my version just for you.

The flavour of this soup is second to none.  It was ravenously devoured by all soup eaters in my home this evening.  Hence I have no photo to share (sigh).

Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke and Celeriac Soup
Chop and roast some celeriac and jerusalem artichoke (washed and cut into chunks, no need to peel the jerusalem artichoke) with olive oil and pink rock salt and black pepper.
Later add stems of fresh thyme.

Meanwhile soften some onion in a saucepan, add garlic and one chopped potato.
Add 1L stock and bring to boil.  Cook until potato is soft.
Add roasted vegetables.  Heat through and allow flavours to meld together.
Blend and enjoy.

Do you enjoy the flavour of Jerusalem Artichoke?  If you haven't tried it, I recommend you do. It has a delicious flavour unlike anything else I've tried and I can't find words to describe it.  Apparently the French Explorer Samuel de Champlain sent the first samples of the plant to France, noting its taste was similar to an artichoke.  The texture is quite like potatoes however and perfect as a soup vegetable.

I'm off to market again this weekend hoping to find some more delicious Jerusalem Artichoke.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Ooh yes, this does sound good...and easy. I'll let you know if I give it a try!

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin